Plant-based nutrition for health and happiness
It does not have to be a marathon or Ironman. It is enough to want to improve health and live an active lifestyle. Sounds easy, but it is not. Our old beliefs and habits are holding us back. Consciously or unconsciously we are linking certain pleasures to our current behaviour and are avoiding some deep-seated pain with them. We will work to turn these stones. Frequently we simply lack knowledge and willpower to implement a lasting behavioural change.
We will create a simple training plan for you to follow until your new behaviours become your habits. We strongly believe in transformative power of plant-based nutrition. It creates health in all areas of our existence and it is scientifically proven (pls. see below).
We will help you with a step-by-step transformation to (predominantly) plant-based diet. You will discover that your food never tasted better and how much better, more nourishing, diverse and colourful your diet becomes with plants.
Work with us to experience your plant-based transformation!
NUTRITION AND HEALTH
Food can be a huge source of enjoyment and it is definitely an important part of our lives. Some foods make you happier than others and the absence of some foods and food in general can make you happier too. The paradox is that eating is happiness and not eating is happiness too.
We live in the world where food is omni-present. Unless you live in a very-very remote place, the likelihood is high that within 1km radius, there is supermarket or hypermarket, with at least 10.000 different food products. You can go, (or worse) drive there and “hunt” for a month worth of food supply. Your body had to expend hardly any energy to secure thousands of calories in food you just purchased. And if like many of us, you are a knowledge worker, you do not have a lot of physical activity during your day: you drive to the office, sit in meetings or at the computer all day but still feel tired and exhausted at the end of it. You did not move and you most probably consumed at least 2000 calories of chemical food, poor in nutrients and high in sugar and fat.
“Sitting is the new smoking”. And too much wrong food and lack of movement is literally killing us. It is a slow and mostly enjoyable death, at least in the first 40 years of life, until one has to face the consequences. The current generations grow obese, develop diabetes and die younger than they should. The generation born in late 1990s and early 2000 is the first one which is expected to live shorter life that their parents, due to lack of movement and fundamental errors in nutrition. The World Health Organization (WHO) describes the situation today as “pandemic”.
Why Whole Food Vegan Diet?
It is your choice, either to start with more movement or adapt to better choices of whole food diet or maybe both at the same time, but you need to address both of them quickly. We choose to focus on nutrition here because we have a strong and evidence-based opinion here. To make it short: we are convinced that plant based vegan nutrition is the healthiest and happiest food choice you can make. To make it less strict, organically grown or fetched fish, could be a great supplement too, but basically it’s a Mediterranean kind of plant based diet, with loads of fresh vegetables, healthy oils (predominantly olive oil), simple grains and grilled fish. It might sound a bit unfashionable since many diets advocate high protein and low fat. The plant-based Mediterranean or vegan diet is high on fiber (greens and grains) and low on plant-based protein (grains and nuts) and low on fat (olive oil and nuts).
Why we are convinced about Plant-Based nutrition?
1. A 2009 nutritional study on 7447 people at high risk for heart decease had to be interrupted, because the Mediterranean diet with lots of olive oil and Mediterranean diet with extra nuts showed such superior results over the low-fat control diet, that it was considered unethical to withhold the advantageous approach from the control groups.
2. Or just travel to the beautiful region of Lake Garda in Italy, also famous for its high quality olive oils, and visit The Museum of Olive oil in Bardolino (www.museum.it), and they will tell you that there was not a single case of a heart attack registered among local people in the last 50 or 60 years.
3. Read the two books that got me totally converted into an all plant-based diet approach, “The China Study” by T. Colin Campbell, if you want a scientific evidence of most comprehensive study on relationship between the nutrition and coronary decease record (the “China-Oxford-Cornell Study on Dietary, Lifestyle and Disease Mortality Characteristics in 65 Rural Chinese Counties”). Or you can take inspiration from “Finding Ultra” by Rich Roll about one-man quest from an obese alcoholic to an extreme ultra-endurance athlete.
Summarizing the eight principles of nutrition for health (as suggested by the authors of “The China Study”.)
1. Nutrition represents the combined activities of countless food substances. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
2. Vitamin supplements are not a panacea for good health.
3. There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by all plant-based diet plan .
4. Genes do not determine disease on their own. Genes function only by being activated, or expressed, and nutrition plays a critical role in determining which genes, good and bad, are expressed.
5. Nutrition can substantially control the adverse effects of noxious chemicals.
6. The same nutrition that prevents disease in its early stages can also halt or reverse it in its later stages.
7. Nutrition that is truly beneficial for one chronic disease will support health across the board.
8. Good nutrition creates health in all areas of our existence. All parts are interconnected.
We would like to stress on point 3 “There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by all plant-based diet plan ”. So several years ago I changed to the plant-based nutrition approach, and became “vegan plus sometimes fish”, as I call it. Before that I experimented a lot with different approaches to nutrition, always trying to get an edge in sporting performance, improve body composition, sometime reduce weight, and always looking to get more energy for life. I tried high and low carbs, high and low proteins, Atkins, Hollywood, soup-only, fruit-only, and a number of other diets. Never getting what I wanted from them. In the process, I studied all serious academic (not industry-sponsored) research I could find and especially after the two above mentioned books, became absolutely convinced of staying vegan for the rest of my life. I also tested this approach in my endurance racing, in Ironman triathlons and marathons, and the miracle happened: I could achieve my personal bests across all disciplines at age of 41 and 42, beating what I thought had been my best form, 12-13 years ago. So the plant-based vegan sports nutrition works for both office workers and athletes and it has multiple benefits for you.
1) Energy release – the clean foods you consume as vegan literally purify your organism. You become more alkaline and your PH balance improves dramatically, calming down the hormonal misbalances in your body. With plant based vegan nutrition you automatically eliminate most of “acid” foods, such as meat and dairy products, artificial sweets and sugars, hormones and chemicals in packaged goods – and this alone gives you a huge energy boost.
2) You sleep better – the clean foods you consume are much easier to digest, so you sleep better and wake up more recovered since your body does not need to invest a lot of energy to run the digestion in the background. You have longer phases of deep sleep – due to food induced “coma” from overeating on animal foods (the standard dinner of meat and fat).
3) You exercise better – well, your body is like a car, you put wrong fuel in, you can’t go, you put right and better fuel it, you go off like a rocket. The magic thing about regular exercise is that it will actually make you eat better. You will immediately realize that you ate something wrong when you go jogging or do some interval training. The wrong food will either go up or down, both unpleasant, can be embarrassing and is a very powerful learning experience. So I always recommend starting with exercise, when you want to improve your diet. It is a “win-win” thing to do.
4) You become more positive – by switching to plant-based diet you will experience a sustainable increase in positivity and ultimately happiness. An increase in your level of happiness happens due to hormonal changes in your body as well as by changed factors of your life (we will reveal the happiness formula in our training) :)
Well, all this might sound like a marketing over-claim and a huge over-promise... until you try it. We did not believe it ourselves first, until we tried it, got convinced and converted for the rest of our lives.